Monday, April 18, 2011

yeah...there's still no title here....

I was a bit too hungover and a bit too busy to do my usual Saturday blog about places to check out on the Internet. I apologize for that, however I am making it up to you now.

For this post of random things you can find on the Internet, I have decided to share with you some blogs that I enjoy reading. Some I have read for years, others are new.

The first blog is Dear Audrey. It is written by Julia Cho who's husband died suddenly at the age of 33 last July. She started it just a couple weeks later in order to help her through her grief and pain and as a way for their daughter to be able to look back and see her mother's memories. There is something about her feelings and grief that is familiar to me. I relate to it because of my own grief when my mom died, although her pain, I am sure is far deeper and more unimaginable, as it should be. She is a gifted writer.

The next two are pretty popular blogs that you may already be reading or have at least heard of. The first is Dooce. Heather Armstrong's writing style is one I would love to be able to duplicate. She rarely has a post that doesn't make me burst out a loud, "HA!" I keep meaning to pick up one or both of her books, but I never think about it when I'm out shopping and never think to ask for them as gifts. Whenever I'm asked what famous person I would like to have dinner with, either living or dead, I usually answer Robert Downey Jr., but adding Heather Armstrong to that invite list, would be AWESOME. Someone make that happen for me.

The second popular blog is one I haven't been reading too much in the last several months but it is a great one. It is Matt, Liz & Madeline. If you do not know Matt Logelin's story, it is a blog that Matt started to document he and Liz's "adventures" for family mostly who lived out of state while he and his wife were expecting their first child. Liz ended up on bed rest in the hospital for several weeks. An emergency c-section was performed on March 24, 2008. Because of complications Liz was kept from their new baby, Madeline and wasn't able to hold her. Twelve hours later on March 25th when she was finally able to get out of bed and see her new little girl Liz stood, looked in the mirror to fix her hair and was struck with a blood clot that travelled to her lungs and she quickly passed away. Matt kept his blog going and writes about his struggles as a single-father, widow and man just trying to raise his little girl as he and his wife would have. His blog has blown up around the world and Matt has found himself on Rachel Ray, Oprah and probably other shows I just can't think of. He has written a book called Two Kisses for Maddie and has started a foundation in his wife's name. Remarkable man.

If you are a child of the 80's then you have to check out this blog but do it only if you have at least an hour to spend on it. It is x-entertainment.com. This website is everything you want to see to remind you of the 80's. It's the commercials you watched during Saturday morning cartoons. Remember, "Honeycomb's big. Yeah! Yeah! Yeah! It's not small. No! No! No!" Or commercials for Smurf pasta, Rolo, Chef Boyaree Hamburger Italiano, Cricket the talking doll, the old Krazy Glue commercials, that annoying Encyclopedia Brittanica kid, Speak n' Spell, the Twizzlers commercials with that red mouth, and Play-Doh Fun Factory. All of those commercials are there as well as pictures and posts about old McDonalds toys, their tray liners, discontinued sodas, Macy's Thanksgiving Day parades, ANYTHING. This site is addictive, promise.

1 comment: